Saturday, February 6, 2016

Easy Extra Large DIY Chalkboards for Under $25

Believe me, I had very good intentions of posting this wedding DIY project months ago but life had other ideas for my time.  In the past few months I... got married, moved to the west coast (just 3 short days after the wedding), started a new job at the same company I worked for in MN (just one week after the wedding) and had a second mini move into our new home ("mini" because I never actually unpacked upon initially arriving - suitcase living all the way!).

I'm clearly biased but I think I have a valid excuse for being missing in action the last half of the year, right?  Regardless, the good news is that I  finally won't feel too guilty indulging in my creative outlet!  Not to mention that I've got some serious organizing and DIY work to do in the new place.  But, before I get to that, there are a few of my wedding DIY projects that I wanted to share with you all so those will be in the pipeline for the next few posts!

In case you haven't already guess based on the name of this post, the first one I will share is...





Chalkboards aren't just for school anymore!  Although, as I typed that sentence, I don't think schools still use chalkboards... Regardless, they've become so popular to use for home, party and wedding decor.  I knew I wanted to use them for my chic romantic apple orchard fall wedding as they're a great way to provide information to guests at a low cost.

Here's what you will need to make an inexpensive and extra large chalkboard:

  • Sheet of particle or pressed board in the size of the sign you would like to make
    • 1.)  If you walk through what I call "the wood section" of a home improvement store, you may be lucky enough to stumble upon a sheet of particle or pressed board with chalkboard paint already on it (2ft x 4ft)! I purchased mine at a Menards.  I have to give credit to my dad with cat-like vision for noticing these gems - HUGE time saver, not to mention less expensive overall.  2.)  
  • Chalkboard paint in the color of your choosing (if you're not using a pre-painted board)
  • Thick twine that is long enough to go along the outside edges of the board (also found this for cheap at Menards and would recommend finding it at a home improvement store rather than a craft store - much less expensive for A LOT of twine.  We ended up using it for other things at the wedding)
  • Hot glue gun and plenty of glue sticks
  • Chalkboard markers 

Directions:

1.  If you're not able to track down a pre-painted board, you'll start by painting the board you've found with the chalkboard paint.  Let it dry as instructed in the directions of the specific paint you use.  To be extra cautious, wait a little longer.

2.  Stand your chalkboard up and lean it against a chair, table or your dad's workbench, in my case.  Get your hot glue gun started up and your twine ready.  My recommendation is to have a place to set your hot glue gun right next to where you are working since you will need to be able to set it down occasionally.  

3.  Now, at the end of the twine to stop it from fraying, hot glue the end of the twine and mush it together.  Once that dries, starting at the bottom of your chalkboard with the recently hot glued end, put a healthy amount of glue on the edge, moving towards the top of the chalkboard, for about 12 inches (not oozing but more than just a thin line).  Continue with that until you have glued the twine to three sides and are back to the bottom of the chalkboard.  This is actually where I stopped since 2 of the 3 chalkboards for my wedding were going to be outside, on the ground leaning against a barn.  However, if you want to do the bottom make sure the hot glue is completely dry before flipping over the chalkboard - be VERY gentle!

4.  Next, is the reinforcement part.  Still standing up and leaning against something, turn the chalkboard painted side away from you so you're looking at the back.  Starting at the bottom and working your way up and around again, hot glue in the crack between the twine and the chalkboard.  While it can't been great for the hot glue gun, I then would smear it in with the tip of the glue gun.  Let it dry completely standing up.
5.  WOOHOO! You've reached the really fun part - designing your chalkboard.  Break out your chalk board markers and have fun!  While I spent an entire weekend designing and writing on the 3 chalkboards for my wedding I loved seeing the signs out on the wedding day - knowing they were my own creation and designs!  


Charmingly Chic Organization DIY Chalkboards
Lettering by yours truly, Dana, at Charmingly Chic Organization

In my next post, I'll being giving you some tips on how I designed and made my chalkboards look beautiful and unique for my wedding!


I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

Happy crafting!




1 comment :

  1. You did an awesome job and I am amazed that you kept yourself together with so much going on! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top